Online articles and stats

I’m always fascinated by articles and surveys and research studies that examine the way the church is changing, especially here in America. I’m going to post a couple of my favorite, must-read articles to kick things off. Hopefully, you guys will geek out with me and add some others I haven’t discovered yet.

Barna - Meet Those Who “Love Jesus but Not the Church”

Here’s a really fascinating article that should resonate with a lot of folks on this forum.

If you’re a patron of unchurching, not only do you get ongoing access to this forum but you also get access to exclusive content I post on Patreon. That includes some thoughts I posted about this recent article from churchleaders.com, titled 7 Startling Facts: An Up Close Look at Church Attendance in America.

It covers finding from a recent study on declining church attendance which claims that most other studies—even those conducted by reputable sources like Gallup—have been producing very over-inflated numbers of attendees, thereby hiding how massive the current church exodus really is.

Click here to read the full article. In the meantime, here are five takeaways that are very eye-opening:

• The actual rate of church attendance is less than half of the 40 percent the pollsters report; in reality, it’s under 20 percent.

• Nearly a quarter (24.5 percent) of all Americans now say their primary form of spiritual nourishment is meeting with a small group of 20 or less people every week.

• Even “growing” churches aren’t keeping up with the country’s population growth. Therefore, 94 percent of institutional churches are actually losing ground in the communities they serve.

• In this decade, approximately 3,000 churches have closed every year.

• By 2050, it’s predicted that less than 12% of the US population will still attend an institutional church.

@AmyO, this might be the article you’re looking for. If not, let me know.

@Richard thank you! Yes!

I’m here to serve. :wink:

No time right now, but will be digging into these later @Richard.

You’re inner nerd will love you for it, @jmlake42! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: