Recommended books

This sparked an idea. Maybe we should be documenting the blessings and tribulations we have in our unchurching groups. People 1000 or 2000 years from now might be interested in how we practiced our faith and the struggles and excitements we had.

Most of the Puritan writers. The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a’ Kempis, The Loveliness if Christ by Samuel Rutherford, Fair Sunshine by Jock Purves this is a character study of the Scottish Covenanters, Foxe’s book of Martyrs by John Foxe, Any of the books written by Colonel Samuel Logan Bringle, There’s a sheep in my bathtub by Brian Hogan on the birth of a Mongolian Church Planting Movement which helped to encourage me in my home churching search. I guess that’s enough but last but not lease Unchurching by our every own Sir Richard, which I think there should be a secret code in there and you have to read the book in order to excess this site LOL

Anyone read or have any feedback on:Total Truth: Liberating Christianity from Its Cultural Captivity? Thanks

Also has a study guide:

Total Truth (Study Guide Edition): Liberating Christianity from Its Cultural Captivity.

Another book that rocked my world is Soul Survivor by Phillip Yancey

I’m intending my following comments to be a reproof rather than mere criticism. Forgive me if I come across as a contrarian.

I never hopped on the “Not a Fan” readership bandwagon. Being from Kentucky, I know that Kyle Idleman is an associate pastor of the 7th largest Institutional Church in the nation (“Southeast Christian Church”). So, while I can appreciate his theories, the practical application is bankrupt.

This was made more poignant when I visited the campus and one of the current programs is “#ilovemychurch” and features testimonies of how well the organization does business (e.g. “I’m always welcomed with a smile”, “the leaders always make it a point to greet you and shake your hand”, etc).

Maybe I’m nit-picky, but I guess it’s difficult for me to appreciate the message if its messenger doesn’t buy into it. So, while it may be a good tool for information, it’s disheartening to see the disconnect between intellectual assent and intentional action.

Amen, This Book started me on my journey. Couldn’t put it down. Wayne’s podcast is also helpful. He’s very insightful.

Amen. Perhaps in my experience, since I’m in such close proximity to Southeast, I witnessed so many believers here reading the book and never putting into practice what was said. Many acknowledged what he said was biblical, but following through would require an abandonment of the status quo. I suppose it was at that point I realized how deeply ingrained religiosity was. Perhaps that’s why the book drives me crazy because I know what Kyle is saying, I believe it, I strive after its actualization…but, for quite some time I felt like the only one wanting to leave the institution. Again, I’m sorry if I sound cross. It’s just painful to see so many of my brothers and sisters bound when freedom is a breath away.

Frank Viola’s latest book, “Insurgence” is highly recommended. Awesome book, couldn’t stop reading it and WILL be reading it again. This is the Primer for Kingdom living in a lost world. Written in a way so even babes can understand and yet scholars can delve in and feast on real meat. A must read!

https://www.amazon.com/Follow-Me-Freedom-Leading-Ordinary/dp/B003TO6EZOSX319_BO1%2C204%2C203%2C200

Just finished reading this book. Thanks for the recommendation Paul! Great story!

Glad you liked it! :grinning:
To me, the book brings out the “led by the Spirit” freedom and grace that gets so lost sometimes in our human craving for “system” and “rules” and “order.”
I think I need to read it again, soon!

Claiborne is a breath of fresh air. Read “The Irresistible Revolution” and “Jesus for President”. Both began a violent spiritual upheaval in my worldview.

I don’t support everything that he says and does, but I really appreciate him!

There is an app called “Serial Reader” that offers free classical literature to be read in chunks. I installed and began using it yesterday. I’ve always been fascinated by Dostoyevsky and am reading his work semi-autobiographical work “The House of the Dead”. If you enjoy the film “Shawshank Redemption”, and have connected with its message against institutionalism (as I do), you would enjoy this book.

I’m curious if anyone would like to join me in reading with this app, as a kind of Book Club. I’m an English teacher, so this is a gift I would enjoy using to edify my brothers and sisters. I love analyzing (and over-analyzing) literature, especially in regards to the stark realism of the human condition.

Bibliotheca

This project has published the Scriptures without the traditional chapter/verse divisions. The cost is relatively expensive. I’d recommend purchasing a set as a family (physical or spiritual).

Personally, I plan on setting aside a portion of my own income to purchase a set for my physical and spiritual family gatherings as we follow the Way.

This is one of my favorites!

I just pre-ordered Francis Chan’s new book! I’m Stoked! https://letterstothechurchbook.com/preorder-thank-you/

I ran across this book via my Facebook Newsfeed. My deconstruction process is never over (I think of the Lowe’s slogan: Never stop improving.) This will likely find its way in my Kindle shortly.

Sinners in the Hands of a Loving God: The Scandalous Truth of the Very Good News

Lately for me it has been Insurgence (Frank Viola), Unchurching, Atomic Power with God through Fasting and Prayer (by Fanklin Hall circa 1946), The Jesus Fast by Lou Engle and Dean Briggs.